Friday, March 2, 2018

Vintage Friday

I love wreaths, there I said it, I might also have a bag problem..but that's a totally different post.
For my First Vintage Friday post, I'm sharing a wreath I just made. The base is a quilting hoop (this is the vintage part) that belonged to my grandmother, Elizabeth (Ms Lizzy to most, even though she hated that name she never corrected anyone). I was lucky enough to have spent many a wonderful and cold winter afternoons working on quilts, learning to sew, and crocheting projects. Summer was dedicated to the garden, snapping beans and scrapping taters. Yes I was born and raised in the rural south, how did you know?

Okay to get back on track, I'm in the middle of moving from one place to another and I'm kind of in a stop in between for a bit, so I keep uncovering treasures. I ran across this hoop in the top of my old craft room closet and knew It was something I needed to work with. 

I sat down and thought about what would work best; how I wanted to showcase the hoop. While it is decorative it is also a memory piece, and it needed to not be over the top. Excess was something she was not a fan of. 
So I started with this pile of mess:
 I dug around and  uncovered some hydrangea blooms, Perfect! My grandmother had beautiful hydrangeas, although hers were blue. Then to have it match my bedroom I added some blue tones and a bit of fern that I had bought for another project, that will be coming up soon.
 I had the hoop on hand but you can always pick them up at yard sales and good will for fairly cheap. Mine is an 18 inch version and it is wood, they come in metal and oval, too. I used pipe cleaners or "Chenille sticks", whichever you prefer to bunch and position my arrangement. 

And this was the end result:


I'm pretty Happy with it personally.
Ribbons didn't make it to the final project, so I'll have them on hand for another project. You can never have enough yarn or ribbons. It's just a simple piece, it feels springy, happy and a bit more like home and as I hung it up I thought I might have heard a little bird chirping her approval too.

Check out Pintrest for other "Hoop Wreath" Ideas, they are a simple and fun way to add to your decor. I did see an idea I loved, brides are using them for their bouquets now.  You could make it simple or extravagant as you wish and then when the day is over hang it on your bedroom wall. Such a great alternative to a traditional bouquet.  

If you are interested in a Hoop Wreath for Easter or any holiday for that matter drop me a line and I'll be happy to brainstorm with you on your design or create one especially just for you! 




4 comments:

  1. It's very lovely and even more special that the hoop was your grandmother's! Thank you for sharing at Vintage Charm--pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and the pin! I love your hop and always find something new and fun every time.

      Delete
  2. What an adorable and seasonally festive wreath! Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersParty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! You always have such a great list of links, and so many readers. Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete