Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Upcycling Colanders for the C



Day Three of the A to Z Challenge is here and I'm headed into the kitchen for my next upcycling idea!

C is for Colander, we all have them right? But do you have an older metal one just sitting around collecting dust and rust? Drag it out and get ready to make something fun with it!

I have two, both were my grandmother's and I use them regularly, they are very simple but in great shape, so I'm still on the look out for one to use for this garden project, this is a easy one and would be great for kids to help with too!


Just in time for Spring-Colander hanging baskets! I mean why not add a bit of whimsy to your porch? I think this makes a great addition to any area. I love hanging baskets and I have them in the garden on poles as well as on the patio and porch. It's a great way to bring in a bit of color to liven up a space. They can also attract birds and repeal bugs with the right combination of plantings.

colander planter

I know a majority of colanders I've seen are in a dull tin color, but there are so many options of spray paints out there that do a great job on metals. Pick a color that works great for your house or garden.

Inserts can be used in these, such as coco liners cut to fit or moss sheets. All kinds of hangers would also work, here they have wrapped twine around the handles and connected them to a ring at the top for hanging. You could also use macrame, chains or premade hangers, whatever suits your area. Water like any other hanging basket and fill with lots of color.

If you are feeling adventurous and looking for another idea for these handy items, how about heading back into the kitchen  (laundry room or craft room, the ideas are endless) and using them as a light fixture?

Pendant Lamp Made From A Colander
Find out how to make your own right here at Practikideas



                                                 or a porch light- courtesy of  Living Small
                                           This one looks just like mine! I love the star patterns..

Love the look but your just not really handy. Check out Etsy, lots of listings for ready to go lights!

Have you added one of these ideas to your house? I'd love to see how it turned out and how you did it. Leave me a comment and Help me decide exactly what I want to do with mine! 

Can't get enough of blogging A to Z? Check out the Master list and find something awesome, but be sure to come back here tomorrow for another great idea starting with D..

2 comments:

  1. I love these, just with they went with our decor.

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories|A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Colanders, always wanted to make some. I have plenty I've picked up at tag sales, but then never want to put dirt in them. LOL I'm writing on my childhood fav book - Nancy Drew. Hope you'll stop by at... https://everyonehasafamilystorytotell.wordpress.com/category/2018-a-to-z-all-about-nancy-drew/

    ReplyDelete