Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Bookish Tuesday- Sky in the Deep



Sky in the Deep by [Young, Adrienne]







I'll start with saying that I will pick up a young adult book not really knowing what to expect, some are really good and some are okay. This one while short was a truly great read. I admit, I'm a viking fan, I watch the shows and I enjoy the storyline. When I saw this on goodreads getting up and down ratings I figured I should check it out. I seriously read it one day. And can I say as much as I loved it, I'm sorry that's its a stand alone novel. I'd love to see more of the Aska and Riki clans.

The story line follows traditional viking processes; family being very important, battles to the death and sacrifices to their gods. The Aska and the Riki are two clans that share an area, one in the mountains and one on the coast, and a history of a god fueled war. Every five years they meet in battle  and everyone fights. Men, women and young teens are trained in the warrior lifestyle and honor to your clan is everything.

In Eelyn's first battle season her brother, Iri is wounded and left for dead, however he is rescued by his adversary's family and nursed back to health. Five years later, Eelyn again back in battle sees her brother and is captured by Fiske, the person who caused her brothers injuries and also saved his life.  As a captive she learns much more about herself, her brother and the war that has plagued the clans for centuries.

The interactions between characters is well written and feels true. Eelyn's feelings of betrayal from her brother, the animosity between the clans, the shame of being caught and losing honor. The world building makes you feel like you could visit this spot and see the beauty and simplicity of the way they lived. Day to day tasks involve you in the life of the clan, it's battles yes but it's also the coming home and building lives after the battles.

Over all it's a fast read that moves along smoothly, while it starts with a battle and ends with a battle, there is so much more in between. I give four stars only because I wanted more, of the story line towards the end. Wonderful building of the process and then the addition of another enemy but the change to fighting together was a bit sudden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment