Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Easter Crafts- Yarn Wrapped Carrots


I've been wanting to do a bit of different decorating for easter, a bit more than plastic eggs and bunny ears. Although those do have their place. I had been trying to come up with something for a centerpiece or something cute for a wreath. Then it hit me, Carrots! Yes Carrots they can be easter but they are spring too. After all I've grown my fair share of them in the late winter/early spring months.

So I did a google search for carrot ideas and came up with two I'm definitely doing this year and one I'd like to keep on the back burner for now. I'll let it simmer and see how much time I end up with before the holiday gets here.

My two projects are yarn wrapped carrots and stuffed fabric carrots, plus I'm sewing some bunnies to go with these guys.. Today I'll show you how I did some stash busting and created my chubby orange roots.

I started with a pair of  styrofoam cones that I picked up at Joann's, I had a coupon and was on a budget for this, plus I was there for fabric too..



To get a more carrot like shape I used an old serrated knife that I on hand from another project but you can find real shapers made for this at most craft stores. Since carrots come in all shapes I just whittled until I got a shape I liked.
They look like carrots right? 
So the next step is what to do abut the tops, after all to be a real carrot you have to have greens!
I lucked out in that too. I had a bit of left over ferny greens from another project that in my opinion worked out great. I took at chop stick, but you can use anything from a dowel to crochet hook to make your hole in the top. I drug out the hot glue gun and glued the tops into place before I did any other covering.
Here you can see the center hole and how I started the yarn around the tops with some strategically placed hot glue.

I jumped back into the crazy mess I call a craft room and came up with this Bernet baby yarn that I felt gave it some texture and a variance of colors for the wrapping portion. I wrapped each one quickly and carefully and again hot glue the ends. Easy peasy and too cute if I do say so myself.
One down one to go

Ta -Dah Easter Centerpiece

This was a fun simple and quick craft that even kids could do with some adult help, in total I had less than two hours into it, which included the shaping and stash hunting. 

I'll already had requests so I'll be making more. Some variances could be to use twine and paint your carrots your favorite color, or use a heavier yarn over a white or painted styrofoam for a more "shabby" look. You can literally branch out for the greens use something you found or dried, add rick rack or ever greens to make it yours. No carrot is ever alike yours don't have to be either. How about rainbow carrots, they are thing, don't be limited by the colors either! Add them to baskets, wreaths or your fruit dish for fun. Keep them out all spring, carrots don't only have to be for the Easter Bunny!

You if you love this idea and don't have the patience or time to make your own head over to my Etsy store or my facebook I'll be posting them there for sell too! 

Check back next week for the second carrot craft, Fabric Carrots

Shared with




8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! they were a lot of fun to make too.

      Delete
  2. Those turned out really cute, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to see what I end up doing with them.

      Delete
  3. I can totally appreciate the time it took to wrap those carrots. I made smaller ones and wrapped with twine, it took f.o.r.e.v.e.r. Your carrots are so fun! I like the larger size, very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I love the stubbiness of them..lol
    The first one, we'' we'll just say was an experience and I'm glad there were no small children around to hear what i thought of it! But once I figured out a system they are moving right along. Which is good since I've had a few requests! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really liking carrots this year. Yours are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they seem to be a big hit. I want to keep them out all summer..lol. I'll have to work on an arrangement for them, I think it's the stubbiness of them that makes them so cute..

      Delete