Friday, March 16, 2018

Vintage Friday_ Upcycled Pin Cushion

Recently my mom has been going through things and passing along items, large and small, she thinks I'd like to have. I think this is an effort to cheer me or maybe a way to make sure I get the story behind things she has held on to over the years.

This is one of the latest treasures to be sent to my house. It was part of an arrangement that was given to my mom when I was born, from my Godparents  I think I've been told. I'll just say it's vintage and leave it at that!
Cute and Simple, I can't believe she held on to it this long


 I'm not much on Knick Knacks and I'm in the process of relocating so I'm trying to find a purpose for sentimental things other than just taking up space. So I thought this would make a great addition to my craft room as a pin cushion. My first challenge was finding some fabric that didn't clash or over power the subtle colors and style. I wanted to keep the vintage feel of it so anything too ornate wouldn't work. No big patterns either since it's pretty small.




I settled for this simple dot in a pale greenish blue. I guess pink would have worked better but I'm not much of a fan of pink. So I'll stick with the contrast. I cut out a square of 4.5 x4.5 and added a hand full of  stuffing. Wrapped it all up and did a quick stitch to make a ball. Inserted it into the bassinet and used a bit of hot glue on each side to keep it from shifting around. 

I fits right into my sewing area, and all I really need now is some better lighting and time to finish some of the projects half done! 

I've seen these upcycled pincushions done with teacups and small tins too. I'm a fan of turning something old into something new, especially when it is something useful. So now I have a new pin cushion and wonderful memories to encourage my crafty endeavors. 


2 comments:

  1. Cute pincushion. And what a great idea... to pass things along to our children while we can still tell them the stories behind things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does mean more when you know what it reflects. I have things that I wish I knew more about. And passing things along while you can still enjoy them is a great idea too!
      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete