Sunday, April 1, 2018

A to Z Challenge - Let's start with A






It's April 1st also known as April Fools Day but I'm not fooling around this year!
Normally this spot is reserved for my Year of Projects posts, but I'm doing double duty today, It's also the first day of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. If you haven't heard about it, then stay tuned!
A group of us crazy bloggers have each picked a topic and we'll be posting every day of the month except for Sunday, this post not included, with a letter of the alphabet.

I chose for my theme- Upcycling Crafts for you and your home! You've heard that everything old is new again and reuse and recycle. How about this one, repurpose or upcycling? I'll be talking all month about doing just that. With small things and large things, and I hope you check back each day to see what else I've managed to dig up for you. You never know you might just find something awesome for yourself!

So let's start with A for Armoire. They are not just for clothes anymore!
If you're like me you can't pass up a yard sale, flea market or a thrift store, you never know what you'll find!
Image may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoor
Goldsboro Habitat Restore

These are two from my local Habitat, both great shape and great pricing. Which of course were both gone by the time I got there.. I'm not the only one with ideas it seems.

So now you have an idea of what we're talking about and where to pick on up, now for ideas on how to transform them into something else for your home.

Have a small space but need a dedicated office or crafting space?
Check these out!


As an office- Hub Pages



or as a sewing craft station - Girl In Pink

You are only limited by your imagination!
Use them in your Kitchen as a Pantry

How cute is this! Yes Please! From Tidy Brown Wren

or as your Kitchen! For those wide open floor plans. tiny studios or workshops

This is premade by Culshaw but with a little work you could create a version of this yourself!

Older furniture was made out of solid wood unlike a lot of the newer components, that just don't stand the test of time. Here are a few things to think about when you are out searching for that just right piece.

Is the piece solid wood? You don't want to work with pressboard or chip board, they just won't hold up.
Does it need a lot of repairs? Know your comfort level and stick to it. Definitely don't be afraid to try new ideas but if it's falling apart and you don't have the tools to do the repairs don't get in too deep.

Know the age of what you've found, don't refinish something that is truly old and would be worth more if kept in it's original state. Solid wood backing and hand cut dove tail drawers are one thing to look for, these are usually expensive but if you find something in a barn for really cheap that looks really old have it checked out before you start painting it!

In my grandparents day all they had was solid wood furniture and some of it was even made by family members, after we've spent 30 or so years using nothing but pressboard and plastic we realize that they may have been on to something. People are interested again in these items that have held up to the test of time so well, they are refinishing and repurposing them for new things that fit our busy lives.

So be sure to stop at that local flea market or thrift store, take a walk around you might might find exactly what you were looking for. It's fun and better than buying from the big box stores. You don't have the space or time to do it yourself, check out those same sells for prefinished items too. Support local handmade, even if it has been made over a couple of times!

Thanks for stopping by and happy hunting! Monday's letter is of course B and I'll be talking about something a bit smaller..check back to see what it is!

Also be sure to check out other bloggers who are doing the A to Z Challenge in April!
Do you have an idea or have you done a bit up of upcycling? Let me know in the comments below, I'd love to hear from you and see your projects!




6 comments:

  1. This is going to be a great series of posts...I wish I had room for an armoire. Great ideas!

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories|A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to drag everything home that I see!. I'm not trying to end up on a hoarder show..lol BUt there are so many awesome projects out there. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I love the armoires! The green office and the kitchen sure have character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could totally use a compact office like that. Keeping my eyes open for the right piece. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Love the tiny kitchen idea for a lake house or cabin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just the cutest thing? All of these Tiny houses make me want to move to a lake and hide out in one!

      Delete