Monday, April 16, 2018

Neck Tie Crafts -A to Z Challenge



My dad rarely wore ties, but that's not to say that he didn't have quite a selection of them, his collection ranged through a lot of fashion periods, some good some not so much. My father in law loved loud ties and statement shirts, I think that could be traced back to his time in the military when he couldn't express himself, so once he retired, he let it all hang out..so to say.

When I started researching for this post I saw so many really different ideas for ties that I was blown away.  I've helped others make shirts from a family member who has passed into pillows, but what personality ties have. I think those could be an interesting pillow or other type of display if they were made with ties too. I think I'll dig out some from both of them and see if I can put something together for my daughter since they have both passed.

 I think these type projects would work well for memorials:
5 different colour schemes of cushions made from neck ties stacked on a sofa.
Very Detailed Tutorial Via Malfringo

If you are more experienced or a quilter 
Via Q-Bits

If you want to go all out and do a quilt,

My father in law's ties had quite the personality, I think his would benefit from this style of quilt
TIE-QUILT.jpg 2,304×3,072 pixels

Or if yours are bit more traditional this might be an idea to use
Necktie quilt tutorial 2014 020
Another great tutorial from Yes I quilt

Ties are fun and they don't have to be used just as a memorial you could pick up some you love at yard sales or goodwill. Want to try your hand a a fun craft check out these ideas.

Turn them into a wreath
tie wreath
from Craftaholicsanonymous

Turn them into a Artsy Necklace for you

Tutorial by ArtStar by Aletha

Joallie Petit Says the really ugly ones work best for these Flowers

Check out her Tutorial, These ties are often found in the very back of the closet..lol

For the person who has everything how about a Neck Tie Pouch from the Polkadot Chair 
DIY Necktie Zip Pouch Sewing Tutorial & Pattern -great gift idea! Something to make for men for Christmas or Father's Day.
I think this would be a great Retirement gift, they might not have to wear them anymore but they could still have one handy!

Not matter the design or reason behind it, ties are a great item to upcycle. The ideas are limited only by your imagination, as are some of the designs on ties I've seen. 

Tomorrow we'll switch to another holiday with "O" as I blog from A to Z, I hope you'll be back.



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these ideas! I think it's funny (and I imagine very true) that it's the ugly (gaudy) ties that make the prettiest roses. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got to be all of the mix of colors..lol. I'm sure that the ones I remember my dad wearing in the 70's would make some great ones..

      Delete