Saturday, April 28, 2018

Y? Because the A to Z Challenge is Almost Over



Yardsticks were once a very popular type of advertising. It was a simple product, something everyone had in their home, easy to brand and an item in demand. My Grandmother had a couple I remember one from the feed store, another from the fabric store of course and a few others. Along with the folding ones, carpenter rulers I think they are called, that my grandfather kept in the barn. Now you see them at Lowes and other hardware type stores, Most fabric stores have closed and no one is giving them away any more. But if you run across any vintage ones be sure to jump on them. The prices are climbing and there is a limited supply of the antiques after all.

So once you have these sturdy everyday items what in the world do you do with them?
Why decorate of course!
I've seen these Stars and Trees at Christmas time, (also made from Tobacco sticks)

Find this easy to follow how to at Organized Clutter 

They are wood so it only stands to reason that they would make a interesting veneer for table tops.



Mandi at Save it for a Rainy Day gives us the details on how to create this yardstick Coat rack
 

And my favorite is using them on stair risers. I'm totally in love with this idea!

Doesn't just scream farm house?
If all you run across is pieces, never fear there are ideas for those too! Key chains and drawer pulls or even jewelry. Everything that is old will be new again or so they say.. I'm closing out this week and looking forward to Monday and Z! Besure to join me as I zip up the 2018 A to Z Challenge in style

2 comments:

  1. Okay, now I'm going to be looking for old yard sticks (and rules) at yard sales!!

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories | A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stair risers covered with rulers! I think that also looks very "industrial". They look so cool with the black treads.

    ReplyDelete