Monday, April 2, 2018

B is for Buttons in the A to Z Challenge






Buttons, yep you see them every day and may have lost one or two in your life. Did you Mom or Grandmother have a jar or another type of container filled with buttons laying around? My Grandmother did, she often recycled shirts and dresses into quilts and of course she cut off the buttons and reused them also.

This is just one of the jars of buttons that came from my grandmothers house. There are all kinds of ideas for reusing buttons even for display purposes.

If you don't have a jar or 7, of your own buttons, be sure to check out goodwill, yard sales and other people's homes, you might be surprised at what you find. Or you can always head over to your local fabric store or craft store, buttons are an "in" craft right now. They have various packages in different sizes and color combinations.  

Ok,  you've got your hands on some buttons now what should you do with them? 
Here's a couple of ideas for you!

They are a great project helper for kids, use them collages or as accents to drawings,
What a great interest piece from  With all my Art and Soul

Have some fancy vintage buttons- Turn them into pins and jewelry
Check out these simple DIY instructions
I've seen buttons like these come in by the jar full in auctions and go for a couple of dollars, I'll be jumping on it next time!


Vintage Rhinestone Button Bracelet Number 20 by PaulaMontgomery, $90.00
I'm seriously in love with this idea from Robin at Happy at Home

Jewelry not your thing? How about other uses in the home or office..

Old buttons turned into fridge magnets
Buttons as Magnets for your Fridge! From Lundagard

Make simple push-pins from vintage jewelry and buttons for your bulletin boards (makes great gifts, too).
Give your Cork Board some Interest with information from An Oregon Cottage

buttons bookmarks
Or add them to paperclips and use them as Books Marks- Check out I heart naptime for this idea

Buttons are part of our daily life and often are under valued, until you need one and don't have one. So don't throw out those buttons, there are so much you can do with them,wall  art,  kids crafts, handcrafted cards, add character to drawer pulls or even make a button bouquet ..
How awesome is this? Wedding season is fast approaching, check out Button Floozie for this idea. The original store has gone out of business but there are tons of ideas to be found on Pintrest!

Thanks for stopping by for day 2 of the A to Z Challenge. We're blogging the Alphabet. Want to know more Click Here for a full list of bloggers participating. There has to be something for everyone!!

Stop by tomorrow and I'll be using something from the Kitchen for my garden!




4 comments:

  1. What awesome project ideas for buttons! My grandmother did have jars of buttons and I used to dump them out and sort them in all different ways. I had a few favorites that I wanted her to keep in the jar and not use. I love the button paperclips and the accent wall art.
    Once Upon a Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both my grandmothers and my mother had button jars. So when I grew up, I knew I needed one as well. I used it frequently but mending but never for crafts. Since I'm not a crafty person and rarely mend, the jar is gone replaced with a small assortment of generic buttons. But I have saved several great images of button crafts...maybe someday. You never know...

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories|A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all gorgeous! :) I do have a button necklace, but this makes me want to do more button crafts :)

    The Multicolored Diary: Weird Things in Hungarian Folktales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember buttons as being fairly plan when I was a child, now you can get a button in any shape. I'm hoarding mine but I'm not against buying some new ones for crafts and there are so many ideas out there!

      Delete