Monday, April 9, 2018

H like hula hoops



It's Monday again and were starting back with the A to Z Challenge with H, I know there could be lots of items, including hutches  and hinges that could fit this upcycle category but I'm choosing something near and dear to my childhood heart; Hula Hoops.  They were a staple in my childhood, I have many great memories of jumping them, twirling them around and playing crazy games of monster ring toss. But now that I'd matured a bit I can see how they could still be upgraded into some pretty cool items. I scoured Pintrest and now that I have all of these ideas, I'll be running by the dollar store for a couple for me so I'll have them on hand for all of these cute ideas!

I know some of you think that Hula Hoops went out in the 70's and you could be right, but they are making a come back along with something else that went out back then too; Macrame! Don't you remember those owl, towel hangers and of course plant hangers? Well both of these things have had an update and people are using them to create something pretty awesome. Once you see it I think you'll want one too!

Swings! Check out the options and instructions below!

Classy Clutter has worked all of the bugs out for us and gives this great tutorial on what and what not to do when creating your own swing with hoops.

IMG_6545-2

And swings just aren't for us big kids either..
Mandala Crochet Swing - Handmade Recycled White Crochet Chair, Shabby Chic Home Decor, Kids Room Furniture (No. 16.):
Check out this pattern at Relexlil.com (Hungarian site) I found lots of pictures of this type of item on Etsy but none were still available. 

If you have little ones at home how about a play space or a bed canopy?
This is a great updated tutorial from 2 little hooligans. All you need is some sheets and a bit of time

Check out Apples for Olives take on this easy to make Canopy for your Princess or even for you.

How many times have you heard "Take it outside"? We can do just that here are a couple of ideas for using Hula Hoops in your garden or for your new flock.

Did someone go to tractor supply or your local feed store for bird seed and come back with birds? Need a quick chicken tractor? Check out this ideas from Chicken Coop Tips
hula hoop chicken tractor is probably about the size I'd need. #ChickenCoop
This would have been a great idea for us but we ended up using our old trampoline, this takes up way less space and is much more mobile!

Have a vegetable or other plant that vines and needs support, You could use some supports and two hoops like Beth Ramos posted about in her trip to a local community garden. I think this one is using bike tires but you could do this with a hula hoop too. I think it would make the harvesting much easier and take up less room than traditional horizontal trellis ideas.

And the ideas go on and on for hula hoop upcycling, they would be a great solution for your cold crop  covers, add some lighting to your patio or create a mandala for your wall. If you get the hankering for something old to be new again, run out, pick up a couple and let me know what creation you come up with. 
That's it for Monday but it's just the start of week 2, stop by tomorrow to see what we can do with the Letter I!



4 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Allison! I think my favorite idea is using a hula hoop for a canopy frame. It's probably the remnant of the little girl in me that knows she would have loved something like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a bit in all of us that still really wants to still have that fun bedroom! My mom wouldn't have allowed something like that and my daughter wasn't the frilly kind but I'm not against maybe having a canopied reading nook. You just never know..

      Delete
  2. I had no idea...had to share this on Facebook!!

    Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
    A to Z Flash Fiction Stories|A to Z of Goldendoodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the share! I love the idea of crafts with hula hoops and I'm just glad that when I was using them for the original intended purpose that we didn't have cell phones recording our every move!

      Delete